Re: RARA-AVIS: Forties Top Five

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 23 Dec 2002

miker wrote:

"Spillane's writing might not be topnotch, but I really like the character of Mike Hammer. Hammer's ugly mad dog attitude is a far cry from the noble gleam of Marlowe's tarnished armor. It's a story that needed to be told. Hammer's excesses are almost poetic."

From David Markson's Epitaph for a Dead Beat (1961):

SEMI-SPOILER, REVEALS GENDER OF WHODUNNIT, BUT NOTHING ELSE

"Heck, that's a pretty flimsy parting line. Too bad you're not one of those Mickey Spillane detectives -- you could shoot me in the belly and be done with it. But that would be murder, wouldn't it? I mean, since after all, you can't prove a thing."

. . .

"I did shoot her -- through her twisted, malevolent brain, with every bullet in the Magnum, savoring each separate recoil as it jarred my arm to the shoulder -- but only in my imagination, only in my imagination."

Mark