Inflating the criminal CV (was Re: RARA-AVIS: What about B.Traven?)

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 21 Dec 2002

I was going through some old emails to which I had meant to respond and I ran across this from Richard Moore:

"One of Nussbaum's major points is that among themselves prisoners seldom deny guilt. Sometimes they even pretend to greater offenses in order to gain status and acceptance...such as a check passer pretending to be a bank robber."

This reminds me of country singer-songwriter David Allan Coe. He used to brag about beating a black convict to death in the showers while serving time at the Ohio State Penitentiary. This was questioned first in a television documentary about Coe and then debunked by Rolling Stone magazine, both in 1975. The producer of that doumentary said, "It's my guess that the bigger your crime, the more status you have in prison, and that he began telling the story while in jail, and just continued it when he began his singing career" (from Randall Riese's Nashville Babylon).

And they say it's only the rappers who promote themselves with their
(often inflated) criminal activities.

Mark