RARA-AVIS: Mysterious citation

From: Nathaniel Stout Adams ( nsa8y@cms.mail.virginia.edu)
Date: 15 Dec 2002

Hello everyone - I'm new to the list, so if I breach a sacred tenet of (n?)etiquette, please hasten to let me know.

I have a question that is indirectly related to mid-c.20 detective fiction. In doing some research on the history of autograph collecting, I found the following definition and citation in the Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang:
-------- autograph hound n. a collector of autographs, esp. an offensive person who clamor for the autographs of celebrities. Now colloq.

1933 in Ruhm [ital]Detective[/ital] 72: He was an autograph hound....He collected autographs. Autographs of all the stars....He had five hundred of 'em.
-------- I'm curious about the citation. What "Detective" magazine is it referring to? Who is this mysterious Ruhm character? What does the number 72 refer to? The only info I've been able to dig up on the web relating the name Ruhm to detective fiction is Herbert Ruhm's anthology, "The Hard-Boiled Detective: Stories from Black Mask Magazine, 1920-1951." If anyone on the list who has seen that volume can speak to its relevance, or if anyone has an idea about how I should approach this problem, I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide.

On a related note, I am most interested in obtaining an original copy of the magazine/whatever source originally held the quotes listed in the citation. Is Ebay the best place to find vintage detective fiction, or are there better sources - online or otherwise?

Many thanks,

Nathaniel Adams University of Virginia