Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler's Influence

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Dec 2002

Al,

Re your response to my point below:

> > Lots more don't. The PI story HAS become more
> > international in recent years, but for many years,
> > particularly the years immediately post-Chandler,
> it
> > was almost exclusively the province of American
> > characters.
>
> That's because it was almost exclusively the
> province of American writers.

If James Hadley Chase proves nothing else, he proves that non-American writers used American characters in American settings. And he's not the only one.

At least one other British writer of American-style PI stories was Peter Chambers (not to be confused with Henry Kane's character), whose sleuths and settings were invariably American and urban.

Had Chandler never existed, the "large US city" would probably still have been the base of choice for most PI characters, but what struck me was the particular combination of ingredients Chandler hit upon that was so slavishly followed afterwards. And one of those ingredients was surely the fact that the PI worked out of a large American city.

JIM DOHERTY