RARA-AVIS: John Le Carre TTSSS - DVD's in NTSC...finally...

From: Cinefrog ( Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 12 Dec 2002

  After many years of waiting the superb 1980 British series Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is finally available on DVD in the US...maybe Rara-Avis members already know that but, in my exitment, I cannot avoid sharing this great bit of news...and the people at Acorn told me yesterday in an e-mail that the equallly great sequel (Smiley's People-1982) will be available in 2003...
  It was shown originally on PBS and many US fans were reduced until now to bad copies from our original VHS taping or transfers from UK-bought tapes...now we will have the pleasure of what is probably the best series on television ever...at least to several of us fans of the books, the author and of splendid filmaking.
  Directing (John Irvin for TTSS and Simon Langton for SP) is majestic and the whole cast in both series mesmerising, starting of course with Alec Guiness...This is an absolute must for all mystery/espionage/noir fans...From what I hear from UK friends (I was there working for two months this summer) BBC cannot do this kind of series anymore unfortunately...

  Acornmedia is at:

 https://www.acornmedia.com/ProductDetail.aspx?&DID=6&Product_ID=1206

and the 3 DVD's cost about $70.00 and ship within 3 days they say.
  By the way Acorn has a whole Mystery section that I haven't had time to scout through yet...
  Steve Novak in Detroit-Ann Arbor