RARA-AVIS: The Pulp Jungle

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 11 Dec 2002

Years ago I read a library copy of Frank Gruber's The Pulp Jungle. The other day I picked up a copy on eBay and re-read it. I came away amazed all over again at how hard Gruber worked to become a published writer and how many zillions of words he sold after he became one. He has some entertaining things to say about other pulpsters, editors, magazines, and of course the hardboiled style. His comments on which came first, the Hemingway style or the Black Mask style, echo some of those made here (you'll have to read the book to see which side he comes down on, but you can probably guess).

Bill Crider