Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Ellroy - X-offender?

From: dave ( birdlives@earthlink.net)
Date: 12 Dec 2002

"Everything" meaning minor beefs -- drunk and disorderly, vagrancy, etc. I don't know if he was arrested for "panty sniffing," but I'm fairly sure he did all that petty stuff. I don't believe Jan had a reason to lie about it, either.

I wonder why you have such a hard-on for Ellroy. I have own my opinions about his novels -- I'm very partial to his old work, which, in my opinion, peaked with "The Black Dahlia." I've reread "Clandestine," (my favorite) many times. However, I literally cannot wade through any of his fiction since, finding it suffers from his ambitions to try to further his reach, and expand (and implode) the genre.

Sure, Ellroy's marketed himself in a particular way. God bless him for finding success with extreme material in a difficult business. But anyone who's read "My Dark Places" knows that much of it is a persona -- that he exploited the memory of his mother, his personal demons, and inverted his own self-loathing in pursuit of fame and recognition.

Like his work (and him) or not, you can't deny his talent or originality.

david