RARA-AVIS: miker & woolrich

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 11 Dec 2002

In a message dated 12/11/02 4:03:09 AM Eastern Standard Time, miker responds to bill crider:

<< As you could probably tell from what I wrote, I didn't much
 care for him either, >>

Actually, miker, almost your entire post was paraphrasing or quoting others' opinions. The only opinion of your's I could find was that you disagreed with the broad condemnation of this book Mike Nevins in his biography as you found the writing hauntingly lyrical even though you had problems with other aspects. For what it is worth I would like to read more of your opinions than a bio-biblio background. And this comes from someone who I blushingly admit also goes into a "book report" mode at times.

Woolrich can be absolutely dreadful. But when he is at his best, such as in RENDEZVOUS IN BLACK, he is very good indeed. And "hauntingly lyrical" is an excellent description of Woolrich's prose at his best. I think this is one case where knowledge of the writer's background may have undermined critical opinion of his work. Knowing that Woolrich lived his days as a momma's boy in various hotel rooms may hamper taking him seriously.

Richard Moore