RARA-AVIS: Re: cutting Ellroy down to size

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 10 Dec 2002

Mark wrote:

>Recently, Jack wrote about Bravo's show on turning LA Confidential into
>a movie (which I taped, but have not yet had a chance to watch):
>
>"Also, in the same show Ellroy and his agent admitted that when the
>publisher wouldn't let him submit and 800 page manuscript that they went
>back and took out conjunctions and articles to cut down on word count."
>
>I've always wondered about this story. Wasn't Ellroy already a big
>seller by the time he submitted White Jazz? Would his publisher really
>refuse a manuscript for length? They sure didn't on his next two
>novels. I've always thought this story might just be part of Ellroy's
>myth-making...

Yeah, it sounds a little too pat. And having seen Ellroy in action in that documentary last week, I'm pretty dubious about a lot of his claims. All those break-ins he boasts about, sniffing panties, burglaries, etc., etc. -- I wonder if anyone has ever tried to corroborate his stories? It's almost pathetic how hard he tries to portray himself as a lowlife. Still, it probably impresses a lot of his fans (as opposed to his readers).