RE: RARA-AVIS: The Marlowe Paradigm

From: Dave ( davezelt@attbi.com)
Date: 07 Dec 2002

Al,

You can learn a lot from bad writing also - even if you're not consciously aware of it. My first job out of school I had to support and enhance the most godawful piece of code you could ever imagine. This was 6800 assembly code, the source listings stacked up were about 5 feet high, and not a comment anywhere. There was no effort in the design to make the code extensible or capable of debugging. And of course any attempt at simplicity was ignored - the orginal developers strived for the most complex methods possible. I got all my gray hair at about 22 trying to work with that code, but I learned a lot about how not to write software, how important it is to focus on simplicity and on building code that can be extended and debugged. As awful an experience as it was working on that code, it was probably the best experience I could've had to help me understand what not to do.

I guess this was a longwinded (and probably uninteresting to anyone outside of software development) example of how sometimes you can learn the most from bad stuff. And to some degree I think you're influenced by everything you read. It may not change your voice, but you may pick up different ways (or not)of plotting, of (or not) shifting scenes, etc.

-Dave

-----Original Message----- From: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca [mailto: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca] On Behalf Of Al Guthrie Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2002 5:34 PM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: The Marlowe Paradigm

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave" < davezelt@attbi.com>

> I agree with Anthony. As writers we learn and are influenced to some
> degree by others writers we like and respect.

Anthony's point was that, as an author, you are influenced by everyone you read, not just writers you like and respect.

Al

.