RARA-AVIS: Film Noir in the Bay Area

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 07 Dec 2002

I just received this from Janet Rudolph. This looks great, and I wish I could be there. Rara-avian Eddie Muller is the instigator.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Fans of classic movie mysteries take note! San Francisco's legendary movie palace, the Castro Theatre, is the venue for NOIR CITY: The First Annual San Francisco Festival of Film Noir, running January 17-26, 2003. What makes the series especially intriguing is that it's composed entirely of vintage crime thrillers set in San Francisco.

The event is the brainchild of local author and Mystery Readers International member Eddie Muller. Not coincidentally, his period crime novels for Scribner, "The Distance" and "Shadow Boxer" are set in late 1940s San Francisco, and his Edgar-nominated "Dark City: The Lost World of Film Noir" is one of the mostly acclaimed books on the subject.

"Hollywood regularly exploited the city's reputation as a place of mystery and intrigue," says Muller. "But this exclusive focus on San Francisco-based movies is a first for a film festival. It'll be as close as local residents can get to actually having lived in the Bay Area during the classic film noir era." Muller has programmed not only such recognized classics as The Maltese Falcon, Out of the Past, and Lady From Shanghai, but many rare titles such as Woman on the Run, Thieves' Highway, and Shakedown. "Some of these films haven't been screened in 35mm since their original theatrical runs more than 50 years ago," Muller notes.

A full schedule of dates and titles is available on Eddie's website, http://www.noircity.com or at http://www.thecastrotheatre.com