RE: RARA-AVIS: The Deadly Percheron

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 04 Dec 2002

Thanks for the recommendation on THE DEADLY PERCHERON, Charlie. I got the three-book omnibus last night in the mail. I'm looking forward to reading it but I'm trying to stay a month ahead of the theme decade so I've moved on to the Fifties. I'm building up a bunch from the older decades that I didn't get to the first time around. I didn't get to read THE DAIN CURSE for the Twenties, LIGHT IN AUGUST, MURDER IN THE MADHOUSE, and several short story collections in the Thirties, and after twenty pages I realized that Algren's MAN WITH A GOLDEN ARM is going to have to wait a while. I notice I get spoiled reading the classic minimalist style of hardboiled. Algren takes a lot of words to get something said.

miker