RARA-AVIS: Ellroy and the movies

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Dec 2002

I gained a new respect for Ellroy the person on viewing "Page to Screen, L.A. CONFIDENTIAL" on Bravo last night.

It takes a good man to admit (paraphrased) When I wrote the book, I did not have these characters
(on the screen) in mind. Now, when I reread the book or think about it, I can't see any other faces." Spacey, Crowe, etc.

The fact that he was satisfied with the movie says a lot too. Most writers hate the adaptations that are made. Most notably we have Stephen King, an admittedly great writer--at least I admit it--who was dissatisfied with a Kubrick film.

Earlier in the same show Ellroy, unlike so many others, admited that movies and novels are completely different things.

Also, in the same show Ellroy and his agent admitted that when the publisher wouldn't let him submit and 800 page manuscript that they went back and took out conjunctions and articles to cut down on word count.

The famous spare style was apparently an accident of necessity.

Jack Bludis

===== Now available by Jack Bludis:
"The Big Switch" http://designimagegroup.com/bigswitch.html
"The Deal Killer" http://designimagegroup.com/dealkiller.html Also available at BN.com and Amazon.com