Re: RARA-AVIS: Westlake's THE AX

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 02 Dec 2002

 "Doug Hoffman, MD" < hoffmand@cc.northcoast.com> wrote:
> Our local library had a book fair, and I picked up _The Ax_ for three
> dollars. Great read! I liked it a lot better than his Richard
> Stark-penned books.

Me, too. I read it last week. I had read one of the well-recommended Stark books and found Parker dull, amoral, and smug, but I loved _The Ax,_ which kind of speaks to our time. Then I read _The Hook,_ which was also interesting. As soon as I get some overdue work out of the way, I'm going to tally people's favorite Dortmunders and try "the best."

Joy, who was a Hoffman for 21 years