RARA-AVIS: Ellroy

From: K Montin ( kmontin@total.net)
Date: 29 Nov 2002

I don't really want to get into a debate about whether Ellroy is a great writer, but I will say that, having read LA Confidential, American Tabloid and the collection of short stories the includes Dick Contino's blues, I conclude that his style is uneven.

I found the short stories boring, rather flat, somehow, but I really liked American Tabloid.

Although I'm far from being a conspiracy theorist, I was impressed by the way he coherently tied together Jimmy Hoffa, JFK and all sorts of major events of the same time period. It was a good read, and lasted a long time, too.

Karin