RE: RARA-AVIS: Mailer

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 27 Nov 2002

Thanks for the Mailer story and review of EXECUTIONER'S SONG. You are the second or third person that I've heard saying good things about it. The length of the book scared me. Hemingway said that what a writer needed most was a bullshit detector, and on the longer books I always wonder if they've lost that.

Mario recommended THE NAKED AND THE DEAD a month or so ago. Have you read it? Did you like it?

The only thing I've read by Mailer is a novel about some exboxer who kills his wife. I can't remember the name of it, but I think it was pretty good. I started reading some other stuff by him but he used too many big words and I gave it up.

Thanks, miker