RARA-AVIS: Crime Time magazine

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 26 Nov 2002

I got the back issues of Crime Time that I ordered a couple weeks ago. They're coming out in a trade paperback size now. I read a little more of Kersh's PRELUDE TO A CERTAIN MIDNIGHT at lunch and put it down so I could look over the Sherlock Holmes back issue of Crime Time. I hesitate to base judge- ment on a single issue, but Crime Time appears to be the kind of magazine that would appeal to many here. Woody Haut writes about Edward Anderson (THIEVES LIKE US). There's an interview with George Pelecanos, Kathy Reichs, Tami Hoag, and a half dozen others. Scott Phillips has an article. Authors com- monly talked about here, like Russell James, Charles Willeford, and William Lindsey Gresham are mentioned. Lawrence Block does a short but entertaining interview with Matthew Scudder. I see Hemingway, Chester Himes, Nathanael West, Harry Crews, Ross MacDonald, Horace McCoy, James Cain, Woodrell, Goodis, and Jim Thompson mentioned.

By the way, who is John Franklin Bardin?

There's 208 pages in this edition, and the advertisements, all crime lit related, take up a VERY small proportion of the magazine.

Complaints? The print is a bit small, but it's sharp and not too bad.

miker