Re: RARA-AVIS: "The Scorched Face" & Richard S. Prather's other PI?

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 26 Nov 2002

On 26 November 2002, Ed Lynskey wrote:

: I finished Hammett's short story, "The Scorched
: Face," and was struck by his use of the big creepy
: house where the story ends. _The Dain Curse_ also
: made use of similar type of house.

I noticed precursors to novels in other short stories. Some Brigid O'Shaughnessy types show up, and so do women like the one in RED HARVEST
(whose name I forget). There's a perfumed Joel Cairo sort in another story, and a couple have enormous Gutmanish men.

Bill