RARA-AVIS: Pre-1930 Black Mask writers ?

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 26 Nov 2002

I've got BLACK MASK BOYS ordered. I notice that some story collections don't have original publish dates for the stories. Does this book have publish dates? Are there many stories from pre-1930? I remember Bill Crider recently mentioning an anthology (a Black Mask one, I believe) that only had a couple pre-1930 stories.

And now I'm trying to think of who was writing hardboiled in Black Mask before 1930. These are some (I think):

Norbert Davis Dashiell Hammett Carroll John Daly Raoul Whitfield Erle Stanley Gardner Frederick Nebel Robert Leslie Bellem John K. Butler

Are there any mistakes? Are there any others? The list is composed of some that I know of and some from a search of the archives. Was Raoul Whitfield going by Ramon Delacorta when he wrote the Jo Gar series? If I recall correctly, Paul Cain didn't walk in the Black Mask door until the early 30s.

I've got a few of Hammett's pre-1930 stories in THE BIG KNOCK- OVER. What anthologies would contain the most pre-1930 stuff from other authors?

Thanks, miker