Re: RARA-AVIS: Nebel

From: Hugh Lessig ( hlessig@earthlink.net)
Date: 23 Nov 2002

A favorite Nebel hero of mine is Donny Donahue, who appears in "The Black Mask Boys" collection compiled by William F. Nolan. According to the bio, Nebel created Donahue for Joe Shaw after the success of Sam Spade. Shaw had wanted more Spade stories, but Hammett had moved on to Hollywood and refused to provide them. (So there.) Donahue is spare and terse, but well worth the time. I've never seen any Donahue story beyond this collection, so I don't know if there are more out there. I may start flipping through my anthologies again.

Hugh Lessig

  Nebel isn't on the same level as Hammett and Chandler.