RARA-AVIS: Manchette, Cook and Wambaugh

From: Chris Martin ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 22 Nov 2002

A while back miker wrote:

>Have you ever noticed the phenomena where once you've >been introduced to
>something for the first time, it >seems to pop up all over the place?

I once saw the ever-alliterative Frank Zappa refer to that as, "conceptual continuity." I don't know if that's his own term or if he nicked it from someone else.

I've been travelling for a while without regular access to email, but wanted to weigh in on a few recent reads.

Three To Kill by Jean-Patrick Manchette: Wow. This French novel written in the 70s but recently translated to English is fantastic. I picked it up for its cover (hey, what can I say?) but was not surprised to see in the archives that Manchette has been praised on Rara Avis in the past. I should have paid attention then.

The Interrogation by Thomas H. Cook: Cook raised the bar so high with Breakheart Hill, that it's difficult not to be a tad dissapointed by each successive effort. Cook does such a great job of building tension and creating noir atmosphere, that whenever I read his work I always have a since of dread at what may happen at any time.

The Secrets of Harry Bright by Joseph Wambaugh: I reread this one and Suicide Hill for Police Procedural Month. Wambaugh combines comedy and tragedy as well as anyone. This and the Glitter Dome are my favorites of his.

All for now.

Chris

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail