Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Ellroy

From: SRHarbin@aol.com
Date: 21 Nov 2002

In a message dated 11/21/2002 10:14:29 AM Eastern Standard Time, kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com writes:

> But don't let that stop you. Anyone interested in hard-boiled fiction
> should at least give him a try.
>
> As for mocking him, while, gee, any ego puffed up that big deserves a
> little prick now and then. And here at Rara-Avis we're just
> the
> pricks to do it.

Touche! Well said on all points... Steven PS Ellroy's not one of my faves, but at his best he is one of the great modern hard boiled writers, and as for us being the ones to "prick" his ego...well, I've been called worse, being a teacher and all. And we won't even go into what my first wife routinely called me...(think of Gloria in McCoy's THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY?). Which is the subject of my next post, strangely enough.