Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 20 Nov 2002

In a message dated 11/19/02 5:36:47 PM, ivanlan@pauahtun.org writes:

<< Well, I've read 0 pages (and after seeing what you two have to say, I think I'll keep it that way), but for some reason that phrase is sticking in my mind now too. >>

now that is utter foolishness. while Ellroy clearly isn't for everyone, or may grow tiresome with over-exposure, he is nonetheless one of the most important writers working in the genre today, for good reason. he has his own voice, and he's expressing his own inner demons. while I can see that some may not like the sound of that voice, or be shown those demons, at least he isn't merely retracing Chandler's footsteps. I think the important thing to take from miker's amusing comment about the shit encrusted dildo, is that he's read two or three thousand pages of the man's work. there has to be something there for even a voracious reader like miker to stick with that long.

John Lau