RARA-AVIS: Literary phrases ?

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 19 Nov 2002

I ran into the phrase "Golden Age" referring to detective fiction when I was reading the Sayers article. Could someone tell me what that is? I sort of figured that hardboiled was the antithesis of "Golden Age", but I notice in the archive that somebody refers to "the typical Golden Age hardboiled protagonist", so I assume the two are not mutually exclusive. I notice another post in the archive that talks abou the "the golden age of crime fiction in the 1920s and 1930s." Is that all it is? Does the Golden Age simply refer to the 20s and 30s?

Also, what is the American naturalism school of literature? I keep seeing that pop up in the stuff I read about early hardboiled/noir and I don't understand it. I think it includes people like Stephen Crane and Jack London. And is there some website or book I can get that would describe the different "schools" and what they were all about?

Thanks, miker