RARA-AVIS: Alfred Hitchcock Anthologies

From: T.Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 18 Nov 2002

Todd Mason wrote:
>Buy them, Kent. You won't be disappointed at that price.

Duane Spurlock wrote;
>I've always found some treasures in those old anthologies. Kersh stories,
>Ray Bradbury, even a John WYndham novella ("The Kraken Wakes") among the
>sorts of stories you might not expect to find in a Hitchcock anthology.
>Because those early collections pulled stories from all sorts of magazines,
>not just AHMM.

After receiving a message from another Rara-Avian yesterday, I went back to the thrift store where I reported that I had spotted about 30 old Alfred Hitchcock anthologies, most with a cover price of .75. I bought 15 for .50 each plus tax including the one mentioned above with the John Wyndham novella. In my copy it's described as a novel with the title, Out of the Deeps, with a note that it was first published in England in 1953 with the title, The Kraken Wakes.

Among the other authors in the books I purchased are Gerald Kersh, Ray Russell, Donald Westlake, Richard Deming, Jack Webb, Lawrence Treat, John Lutz, Gil Brewer and Philip MacDonald. Because of condition, I left behind one with a John D. MacDonald story, which may have been a mistake. Still on the shelf, at least as of last night, are another 30-plus paperbacks. I copied down the titles so if anyone is looking for a particular title, e-mail me directly and I'll see if I can find it for you. The cover prices vary from .60 to 1.95 and most, but not all, are in very good condition.

Kent Morgan in Winnipeg