Re: RARA-AVIS: Rex Stout & Dan Turner

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 15 Nov 2002

On 15 November 2002, Moorich2@aol.com wrote:

: Searching anthologies for more of the old-time hard-boiled, I was
: surprised to find several interesting examples in the anthology RUE
: MORGUE NO. 1 edited by Rex Stout and Louis Greenfield (Creative Age
: Press 1946)

Thanks for the write-up--this sounds like a good one. I'm going to keep an eye peeled.

Keeping on with Dan Turner, I bought a replica edition of the August 1940 SPICY DETECTIVE [1] and it just arrived in the mail. There's a Dan Turner story, "Crimson Ritual." It begins with our Hollywood Detective going into the loo:

| Something seemed vaguely familiar about the Junoesque jane with
| the scenic curves and the floppy-brimmed picture hat, but at first
| I was too damned started to tab her. When she came out from behind
| that slatted door I almost swallowed my gasper, and no wonder.
| There are certain places where a guy never expects to encounter
| she-males, and this was one of them.

It's a Finnish actress, who soon pulls out a roscoe and aims it at his gall bladder, which I think is pretty good aim.

Bill

[1] From Girasol Collectibles, http://www.interlog.com/~girasol/ . It's
    very nice.