RARA-AVIS: Robert Dietrich & Ross Thomas' protagonist in _Chinaman_

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 14 Nov 2002

Wu and Durant turn up again in OUT ON THE RIM and VOODOO, LTD. I liked these books, but not as much as I liked CHINAMAN'S CHANCE.

As for those Robert Dietrich books, I re-read a couple of them before the D. C. Bouchercon a year or so ago, and while they're OK light reading, they're not in Ross Thomas' class.
 Plenty homophobic, too. Probably my favorite Hunt book as Dietrich is ONE FOR THE ROAD, an old Pyramid paperback that I think most list members would enjoy. I also liked some of his books under the Gordon Davis name, with I CAME TO KILL being one of the better ones.

Bill Crider