RE: RARA-AVIS: books

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 14 Nov 2002

Marianne Macdonald wrote: If anybody would like me to cc them a 2nd hand books catalogue from Kirk Ruebotham, in Runcorn, Cheshire, contact me. There is probably more sf than crime in it, but there IS quite a bit of crime, everything from Christie to Spillane to contemporary, some of the 50s, 60s and 70s pb stuff looks quite obscure; more UK than US. But anyway...

******* Good to see you here again, Marianne. I was afraid that you'd given up on rara-avis after the limited response to your request about the problems a writer has creating convincing opposite sex characters.

I read Dorothy Hughes's RIDE A PINK HORSE recently, and she seemed to do a good job with writing guys. I read Dorothy Baker's YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN and I'm afraid she was struggling with everything, including the characters. I thought Chavarria recently did a great job with the girl protagonist in ADIOS MUCHACHOS. After thinking about it a while, I decided Chavarria did an admirable job of developing a female version of hardboiled tough- ness, too.

miker