RARA-AVIS: CWA Awards

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 10 Nov 2002

CWA MACALLAN GOLD DAGGER FOR FICTION

* Gold Dagger Winner: THE ATHENIAN MURDERS, by Jose Carlos Samoza (Abacus)

* Silver Dagger Winner (runner-up): THE FINAL COUNTRY, by James Crumley
(HarperCollins)

Also Shortlisted: SCAREDY CAT, by Mark Billingham (Little Brown); JOLIE BLON'S BOUNCE, by James Lee Burke (Orion); CITY OF BONES, by Michael Connelly (Orion); and ACID ROW, by Minette Walters (Macmillan)

I've no idea whether or not it's hardboiled, but I should also mention that the winner of the John Creasey Memorial Prize (for a first crime novel) was Glasgow-based Loiuse Welsh for THE CUTTING ROOM (Canongate). Canongate
(based in Edinburgh) also won the Booker Prize, so things are looking pretty good for the Scottish publishing industry at the moment.

Al