RE: RARA-AVIS: Robert Leslie Bellem

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 07 Nov 2002

Bill Crider wrote: For more on Bellem, check out Thrilling Detective:

http://www.thrillingdetective.com/turner.html

Also, if you can find it, read the great S. J. Perelman's essay, "Somewhere a Roscoe."

******** Thanks, Bill. I read some reviews and there seemed to be some consensus that the HIGH ADVENTURE #60 stories were a good choice. I ordered them from Vintage Library. For some reason or other, Hugh Cave's name came to me too. I found the complete set of stories he did for Black Mask at Doug Greene's Crippen and Landru, so I got them too.

And thanks for the recommendation on Perelman's essay, too. I've been collecting all the hardboiled commentary that I can get my hands on. For a while I just browsed thru them and read an occasional essay or two, but when I was out in D.C. I hunkered down and started at the beginning of O'Brien's HARDBOILED AMERICA and I'm almost finished with it and I'm also almost thru with Madden's excellent TOUGH GUY WRITERS OF THE THIRTIES. I think you recommended that one. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find Perelman's essay with a search on Abebooks, but I'll keep an eye out for it anyway. Oh! I got a Whittington title when I was out in D.C., too. If memory serves me correctly, you wrote an essay on him in MURDER OFF THE RACK. I'll read your essay after I read the Whittington book... something with "hell" in the title, I think.
  Another writer who I'm interested in is Nebel. If memory serves me correctly, this is the fellow that Mario wrote the Cardigan review about. I drew a blank on that book at Abebooks.

I'm also watching Crippen and Landru closely for Whit- field's Jo Gar Casebook and Paul Cain's Fourteen Slayers.

miker