RARA-AVIS: Robert Leslie Bellem

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 06 Nov 2002

For 1930s months I started with BLUE MURDER (1939) by Robert Leslie Bellem, and I'm really enjoying it. I've never read anything by him before. The style is a riot, but what killed me were a couple of quotes from some Dan Turner stories. Are there any anthologies of them around? I looked at bookfinder.com and just turned up BLUE MURDER itself and some pulps. plus DEATH'S DETOUR: THE SURGEON OF SOULS COLLECTIJON VOL. 1, which is a 72 page booklet with four stories from SPICY MYSTERY. Is Bellem lost to the modern reader? I want more roscoes sneezing ka-chow.

Bill