RARA-AVIS: Red Harvest

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Nov 2002

I'll got out on a limb here and disagree with many of my fellow rara-avisers:

I think that "Red Harvest," except for the opening, is pretty ugly stuff in both a plot and style. (OK it was made from a bunch of novellas. Hammett should have hooked them together better.)

The style is more Hemingway parody than good Hammett. It's choppy and not conversational.

Jack Bludis
(Who also thinks that "The Malese Falcon" is the best private-eye novel ever.)

===== Now available by Jack Bludis: THE BIG SWITCH http://designimagegroup.com/bigswitch.html THE DEAL KILLER http://designimagegroup.com/dealkiller.html Also available at BN.com and Amazon.com