RE: RARA-AVIS: Whitfield's GREEN ICE

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 04 Nov 2002

Bill Denton wrote: When I think of this, I think of THE GLASS KEY. Absolutely nothing internal at all, everything's outside, and you have to figure it out yourself by watching and listening. Sort of an anti-Marlowe. I think it's hard to write this way and make it good.

*************** I agree about it being hard to write well in this fashion. As I mentioned earlier, I would have sworn that there were some internal thoughts of Spade's in FALCON, especially concerning the women, but when I reread it, it became apparent that anything he was thinking was tranferred to the reader by direct observation.

At the other end of the spectrum are novels which provide a thorough description of every character's thoughts after every line of dialogue. Baker's YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN is not far from this category. As Mario said about one of Harris's books, it leaves little for the reader to contribute.

Incidentally, GLASS KEY is one of the books I picked up out in D.C. I believe that Carrie said it was Hammett's favorite. I'm looking forward to reading it.

miker