Re: RARA-AVIS: Caldwell-Mitchell & Goodis-Fuller

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 04 Nov 2002

Richard replied to me:

"I am sorry to hear from Mark Sullivan that Sam Fuller's adaptation of David Goodis' STREET OF NO RETURN is horrible. Fuller's autobiography complains that the producer Jacques Bral spent a year recutting the movie while stiffing the crew for their pay. He does not comment on the quality of the recut/released version of the film although he notes it was a box office disaster."

First of all, it starred Keith Carradine. Although I think Carradine is great in many Robert Altman and Alan Rudolph films, he was horribly miscast for this one. Plus, his character's memories of stardom keep cutting to the glamorous rock video he made which featured the girl he still loves. This also seemed terribly out of place and probably had more to do with trying to revive Carradine's music career than moving the plot forward. Plus, it must have used up the whole budget because the scenes in the cop station are ridiculous, incredibly cheap looking and, if I recall correctly, contained poorly dubbed and/or synched audio. It's just a mess.

Mark