RARA-AVIS: Caldwell's TOBACCO ROAD

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 03 Nov 2002

Published in 1932, a year after Pearl Buck's THE GOOD EARTH, Caldwell's TOBACCO ROAD paints a different picture of a man's relationship with the soil. It only takes an hour with Caldwell's TOBACCO ROAD to realize that the oft-held opinion that contemporary literature holds no equal in shock value is false. H.L. Mencken helped Caldwell fight the censors and get the book published. Not surprisingly, Margaret Mitchell, author of GONE WITH THE WIND, was one of the major opponents against Caldwell's book. She commented that there was not a single pervert in her novel.

It's the story of the impoverished Lester family living atop a ridge in the hills and hollers of Georgia, a few miles outside of Augusta. The conditions they endure and their attitude towards life are as shocking today as it was 70 years ago. Coarse and ignorant to begin with, extreme poverty allows them the distinction of achieving new lows in deprivation, degradation and brutality.

Erskine was born in Georgia in 1903, and moved with his family close to Augusta in 1919. He began his literary career working for two newspapers, both the local and The Augusta Chronicle. From here, he saw the plight of the local sharecroppers with his own eyes. Towards the end of his life he recalled, "I got a good look at these conditions firsthand after I took a job as a driver for a country doctor. I saw people eating clay to fill their stomachs, and I entered tiny shacks with dirt floors that had as many as 15 people living inside." Caldwell used these experiences as the foundation for 26 novels, 16 collections of stories, and 15 nonfiction books. TOBACCO ROAD and GOD'S LITTLE ACRE were bestsellers.

One of the great strengths of TOBACCO ROAD is its ability to show humor in spite of the miserable conditions and brutal, inhumane attitudes of the characters. Without this dark humor the book would be just another dreary and depressing melodrama. His social satire is reminiscent of Twain's TOM SAWYER and HUCKLEBERRY FINN. We laugh at the follies of the Lesters, but we see a part of the Lester family in ourselves.

Caldwell, along with Mississippi writer William Faulkner, unintentionally forged a new genre called Southern Gothic, which follows a plot line of ignorant Southerners involved in violent evil, and distinguished authors Flannery O'Connor, James Dickey, and Harry Crews have carried on the tradition.

In 1965 TOBACCO ROAD was third in total sales in the U.S., right in front of Mitchell's book, a minor but satisfying retribution.

miker

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Robison" < zspider@gte.net> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2002 10:58 AM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Hammett's THE MALTESE FALCON: Robison