Re: RARA-AVIS: Whitfield's GREEN ICE

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Nov 2002

<<One small complaint I would make about the novel is that Mal and most of the other characters are continuously rehashing the events and speculating on motive and guilt. By the second half of the novel this continous process becomes a bit worn and tedious.>>

The personal element makes this a noir novel, as different from the Hammett style as it was possible to be then (and still be a Black Masker).

To me, Green Ice is a masterpiece of hardboiled noir.

I think that the similarities between Hammett and Whitfield are mostly superficial. Very different writers.

Regards,

MrT