RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 28 Oct 2002

I had the pleasure of seeing the noir panel at Bouchercon. Along with Jim Doherty and Jack Bludis (whose stories I've read) were some other interesting writers who I haven't read, especially Eddie Muller. He wrote the nonfiction book DARK CITY about film noir, then started a series of novels about a newspaperman in San Francisco, loosley based on his father
(as he put it, "As far as I know, my father never buried anyone in Golden Gate Park.").

James Sturtz (Sturz?), an author on another panel, said the most perceptive thing I've ever heard about noir. He said it's all about frustration, sexual, financial, or whatever. I thought that captured in a nutshell a lot of what noir is.

Graham