Re: RARA-AVIS: Big Agencies

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 22 Oct 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: < abc@wt.net> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 9:46 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Big Agencies

> I once wrote a western novel, COLORADO SPECIAL, for Lynx
> Books under the William Grant by-line. The book was part of
> a series about a big railroad detective agency that sent out
> operatives to look into problems. All the books were
> constructed as mystery novels. I think I killed off Lynx
> Books, though some of the other novels in the series were
> written by another member of this list.
>
> Bill Crider

Bill's book was more of a mystery than mine. I'd recommend his to anybody who likes both Westerns and mysteries. What he doesn't mention is that his second book in the series, AVALANCHE RUN, made it as far through production as the galley stage, and I've always wondered if the books were printed but not distributed. I still have hopes of running across a copy one of these days, though it's more likely all of them were pulped, if they were ever printed to start with. The idea that some books are written, sold, and almost published only to disappear forever bothers me.

And I'll match my list of series and publishers killed off against Bill's any day. Between the two of us, it's a wonder the publishing industry still exists.

Best, James