Re: RARA-AVIS: The Continental Detective Agency

From: Scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 21 Oct 2002

A slight aside, but Pinkertons feature in at least one Sherlock Holmes story. The Valley of Fear has as its hero one Birdy Edwards, who breaks up the evil Scourers of the Vermissa Valley before fleeing to England. Could this be an acceptable way of writing up the agency's strike breaking activities? I'm pretty sure that they also appear in another, and asking Watson to reach out a long arm for the index I read that they appear in The Red Circle, on the trail of an Italian-American secret society, presumably Mafia based? I don't think Doyle wrote American characters or plots all that well and I do wonder if Holmes' often-voiced enthusiasm for all things US may have been a marketing ploy on Doyles' part.

I have digressed long enough. Keep well all. Colin