RARA-AVIS: Pre-Genre Hardboiled: Stephen Crane

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 21 Oct 2002

I read a short novel and two stories by Stephen Crane. I had read references to him in a couple places as a hardboiled influence. MAGGIE, A GIRL OF THE STREETS is a very short novel about the rough Bowery section of New York City around 1895. It's written with colloquially-spelled dialogue and in a straightforward and unsentimental style that's typical of hardboiled. Some of the characters were brutal thugs, and just about nobody gave a damn about anybody else. I'd say it was noirish too.

Have to go... more later.

miker