RARA-AVIS: Crane and London

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 18 Oct 2002

I picked up a small book of Crane's stories today at the bookstore. Since we were supposedly gonna knock around some of the pre-hardboiled origins of the genre, I thought he would be a good choice. I read "Maggie" and "The Blue Hotel" a long time ago, but I couldn't find my copy so I bought a cheap new one. Bummed out that they didn't have Faulkner's LIGHT IN AUGUST. SANCTUARY was way cool.

I've got some Jack London stories too. I remember "To Build a Fire" from way back.

I think both these guys were sorta pre-genre hardboiled. I'll hafta reread some and get back with you.

miker