Re: RARA-AVIS: James Cain

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 18 Oct 2002

Al wrote:
> Spot the pattern developing here... My favourite other Cain is THE
> BUTTERFLY, which you could term "incest noir". I also enjoyed SERENADE,
> which has a genuinely surprising take on homosexuality (for the time and
> genre). But, hey, I even enjoyed his historical noir PAST ALL DISHONOR,
> which is generally considered to be pretty awful, so perhaps you should
take
> no notice of any of the above.

****** Looks like BUTTERFLY and SERENADE are way popular, with LOVE'S LOVELY COUNTERFEIT duly noted. Thanks to everybody who made suggestions.

I'll have to check out when SERENADE came out. Gore Vidal came out with a controversial novel with open homosexuality, didn't he? I know it came out in the 40's and it had a name something like THE CITY AND THE PILLAR?

miker