RE: RARA-AVIS: RE: Favorite Op caper

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 15 Oct 2002

JIM DOHERTY wrote: The Op's always been my favorite PI character. My personal favorite of the short stories is that blood-drenched dry run of THE MALTESE FALCON's last chapter, "The Gutting of Couffignal." In fact, I'll go one better and say that "Couffignal" is the best hard-boiled PI story ever written.

************ I can't imagine a better recommendation than that, Jim. I'm going for the Library of America's Collected Stories. I'm glad I didn't buy the darned thing last night at the bookstore, though. It's $35 there (plus tax), and they're offering it for under $25 at Amazon. If I buy a few books, shipping is often free.

miker