Re: RARA-AVIS: Fredric Brown and the amphibians: Harbin

From: SRHarbin@aol.com
Date: 12 Oct 2002

In a message dated 10/11/2002 1:01:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, Todd.Mason@tvguide.com writes:

> As for fantastic fiction and cf amphibians in the pulps, I'll nominate
> Robert Bloch, Cornell Woolrich, Jack/John Holbrook Vance (though he rolled
> in toward the end of the pulps), Miriam Allen DeFord (ditto, I think, for
> her), Anthony Boucher, and no doubt a slew I'm foolishly letting slip
> by...though you did specify science fiction, which leaves out Woolrich as
> far as I know, but not the other folk (even if Bloch's sf may've been the
> least of his talents, he did some excellent work in that
> field). Excelling
> and being best known for something are not congruent enough.

I stand corrected, I forgot about Bloch and Boucher, not to mention Jack/John Holbrook/Vance, one of my all time favorite authors in any genre. I guess one could even mention the hybrids, such as Larry Niven, Isaac Asimov, and Alfred Bester who wrote science fiction/mysteries. How hard boiled those are is open to question I would guess... Steve Harbin