Re: RARA-AVIS: Whitfield

From: SRHarbin@aol.com
Date: 11 Oct 2002

In a message dated 10/11/2002 7:08:52 AM Eastern Standard Time, Robison_M@crane.navy.mil writes:

> And who the heck is Fredric Brown? I don't see anything
> by him listed on the hardboiled checklist page. Was he
> a Black Mask story writer?

Miker, Fredric Brown is a great author, whom you want to check out since you haven't done so. He wrote both mystery and science fiction from the 40's through the 60's. His main claims to fame or the excellence and humor and word play of some of his short stories (especially the sci-fi ones) and his shocker "O. Henry" type endings, in both his mystery and sci-fi stories. His only series of hard boiled detective stories are the "Ed and Am Hunter" series of novels and a couple of short stories, which I believe were discussed a while back a little. Check the archives. If not I'll be happy to send you a list. Also, check out Kevin's great web site ThrillingDetective. It has a section on Fred Brown. Steve Harbin