RE: RARA-AVIS: Whitfield

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 11 Oct 2002

I hear that Whitfield and Hammett were drinking buddies, and had some good times sitting around talking about how it ought to be written.

It's interesting how a lot of these guys rubbed shoulders. I read an excerpt from something by Lillian Hellman and Dashiell and her were staying in a hotel for free or cheap because Nathanael West was running the place. She commented that she had been reading the manuscript for West's first book. I can't think of the title. Something with "Bilbo" in it?

miker