RARA-AVIS: BEST AMERICAN MYSTERY STORIES 2002: Taboada

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 02 Oct 2002

Indeed. And Ellroy's introduction starts well...but his selection from the menu Penzler offered, to judge by what I've read previously, is solid. The best stories from MYSTERIOUS PRESS ANNIVERSARY ANTHO are largely there...(Penzler explains his apparent self-indulgence in selecting from his own anthos, but it's kind of hard for a BOTY editor to avoid one's own projects when surveying...as Martin Greenberg or Gardner Dozois or Ellen Datlow and a few others might note). TM

-----Original Message----- From: Mario Taboada [mailto: matrxtech@yahoo.com]

<<Speaking of anthologies, I've recently obtained both the new Penzler/Ellroy (BEST AMERICAN)>>

Look for my review, to appear soon at Kevin Smith's site. I have not finished the anthology yet, but I have a positive opinion of what I've read. Some big guns (Gores, Connelly, Clark Howard) as well as less famous authors. So far, so good. It has variety.