RE: RARA-AVIS: Goodis and 26 others

From: Abshire, Richard ( RAbshire@dallasnews.com)
Date: 02 Oct 2002

It doesn't beg the question. It raises the question.

-----Original Message----- From: Robison Michael R CNIN [mailto: Robison_M@crane.navy.mil] Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 1:46 PM To: ' rara-avis@icomm.ca' Subject: RARA-AVIS: Goodis and 26 others

Al said: Of his books currently in print I'd recommend DARK PASSAGE (despite the fact that some parts are very badly written, it's full of typical Goodis scenes - the one where the protagonist has a conversation with his dead mother is a classic), OF TENDER SIN and THE MOON IN THE GUTTER above BLONDE. Bottom line, though - they're all just different degrees of magnificent.

*********** Thanks Al and Mark,

I've moved BLONDE down the list and replaced it with STREET OF NO RETURN and DARK PASSAGE.

Incidentally, Al, you'll be proud to hear that I finally broke loose from the only-new-authors vow and dug into West's DAY OF THE LOCUST right after reading MISS LONELY- HEARTS. So my string stopped at 27 new authors in a row. Knee-deep in the mud, the blood, and the beer, it was a stunning tour of some of greatest authors and some of the meanest, nastiest characters ever. Here's a list of the authors:

Iceberg Slim Gores Gresham Rankin James Cain McCoy Ed Anderson Spillane Fearing Crumley Westlake Goodis Himes Rabe Leonard Raymond Crews Woolrich Faulkner Daly Chavarria Burnett Gardner O'Hara West Paul Cain Whitfield

Looking at this list begs the question, "Well what the hell had you ever read before that was hardboiled?" The answer, of course, is, "Uh... not much!" ;-)

miker