Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: McGee's Rant

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 17 Sep 2002

On 16 September 2002, Kevin Burton Smith wrote:

: And even in his early books, there are moments of, if not self-doubt,
: at least acknowledgement that even pleasure has its price. note that
: even in the passage Bill quoted, he does refer to himself as a prude.

There are a couple of places in the book (and I remember one in the previous book, too), where McGee gets in a bad mood, sulks, and then realizes (or Meyer tells him) that his noble notions and tarnished knight self-image give him hang-ups just like everyone else, and he's being a silly ass. He might laugh it off, or he might brood on it a bit and acknowledge he's found another flaw in himself. That introspection is something I always liked about the books.

Bill