RARA-AVIS: Re: McGee, John D, and grisly titles

From: BetsyaW@aol.com
Date: 16 Sep 2002

In a message dated 9/16/02 6:40:33 PM, Mark Sullivan writes:

<< Kind of related to this, I recognise the sexism (but not misogyny) of McGee. I think it's kind of quaint and always kind of smiled at it as tied to its time. However, how do female readers take it? >>

This female reader thinks John D. was writing in the '60s and '70s when Hugh Hefner and James Bond and Twiggy were shaping the pop image of women: creampuffs on an assembly line.

There's a distance in MacDonald, almost a squeamishness. The closest he gets to being McGee is in passages like the one (roughly remembered) "a parade is a group and I'm not a group animal.' He isn't McGee. If he identifies with anyone, it's Meyer, the one-named economist.

About the title Boiling a Frog, to change the subject without transition, what about M.F. K. Fisher's How to Cook a Wolf.